Welcome to Lithonia
Located in southern DeKalb County, Lithonia is a small but unique city in Atlanta’s east metro area. Its nickname is the “City of Granite,” due to the amount of rock found in the community, but there is much more to it than that. You will find a top shopping destination, beautiful parks, affordable housing, and easy access to Atlanta here, as well. Many young people are moving here to start families, take advantage of economic opportunities, and get away from the hustle and bustle of Atlanta without creating an extra-long commute. As the city grows, so do the number of reasons to call Lithonia home.
History of Lithonia
Up until 1845, the Lithonia area was made up mostly of farmers and agricultural areas. That year, the Atlanta Augusta Railroad came through the city and helped it develop its granite quarrying industry. The area is still one of the biggest granite-quarrying and viewing areas in the state of Georgia today. As a matter of fact, that is how the city got its name. The Greek word for “rock” is “Litho” and “onia” means “place.” Lithonia officially became a city in 1856.
Lithonia has more families than many other cities in Metro Atlanta. A little over 40 percent of homes in the city have children under 18. The median age for residents is 30 years old, and the median household income is around $35,000. Those numbers do not include the unincorporated areas of the city.
Lithonia is only about 15 minutes from Atlanta’s top attractions and even less than that from some of Decatur’s many exciting places to visit, but don’t assume it doesn’t have its own share of entertainment. Golf, shopping, and visiting parks are just a few of the things the locals like to do on a Saturday.
- Arizona’s at Stonecrest – If you are a steak and potatoes kind of person, Arizona’s at Stonecrest is the place for you. But that is not all the restaurant serves. Beef tenderloin, baby back ribs, smoked chicken, grilled tuna, hickory burgers, and salmon are other favorites. Enjoy live music occasionally here, too.
- Dabomb Sports Grill – For the best wings in DeKalb County, look no further than Dabomb Sports Grill. After all, you have over 35 flavors to choose from. Along with your food, you can enjoy a drink, catch a Falcons game on TV, play pool or poker, or listen to live music.
- Don Tello’s Tex Mex Grill – If you love Tex Mex, you will love Don Tello’s. There is not a bad dish on the menu all the way down to the salsa and guacamole. Every Thursday you can enjoy karaoke and on Friday and Saturday, a DJ is in the house. Tuesdays are trivia nights, and every day is a good day for an ice cold margarita
- Kampai Sushi & Steak – Kampai Sushi & Steak has three locations in the Atlanta area, including this one in Lithonia. Patrons love the large portions and great value on the combination of traditional and exotic Japanese food.
- Gladys Knight & Ron Winan’s Chicken & Waffles – Since it opened in 1997, Gladys Knight & Ron Winan’s Chicken & Waffles has become a popular choice for Atlanta diners. It has three locations, including the one at Stonecrest in Lithonia. In addition to chicken and waffles, the restaurant serves traditional Southern and soul food like fried green tomatoes, fried catfish, chicken salad, and more.
- Airport – Hartfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is a little over 20 miles west of Lithonia. Considered to be the busiest airport in the world, it handles 2,500 arrivals and departures each day.
- Interstate – Lithonia is a little less than 19 miles from Atlanta, and residents can easily commute in and out of the city via Interstate 20 which runs right through Lithonia.
- Bus– Atlanta’s public transportation system, MARTA, provides bus services to and from Lithonia. Georgia Rapid Transit Authority’s Xpress buses also provide service between Downtown Atlanta and Lithonia.
- The Mall at Stonecrest – The Mall at Stonecrest is one of the most popular shopping destinations in Georgia, and it happens to be located in Lithonia. Stores include Kohl’s, Macy’s, Dillard’s, American Eagle, Forever 21, and JCPenney. There are also several restaurants and a movie theater here.
- Turner Hill Marketplace – Just across from Stonecrest is the Turner Hill Marketplace, another top shopping destination for residents. It is home to Walmart, Sam’s Club, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Toys R Us, and McDonalds.
- Your DeKalb County Farmers’ Market – Lithonia is about 12 miles from Your DeKalb County Famers’ Market, a top shopping destination for fresh meat and produce, world-class ingredients, and practically anything else you can think of. It also has its own restaurant where you can grab a fresh meal while you shop.
Real Estate Information
While you will find some established neighborhoods in Lithonia, many of the homes currently for sale are new construction, and they offer some amazing features. Open floor plans, master on main, gourmet kitchens, fireplaces, and hardwood floors are very common. Townhomes are also available.
Average Price of Homes
Lithonia homeowners love that they can get a lot of house for their dollar. The median home value is around $92,000, though homes are available for all budgets and price ranges, starting at $50,000 all the way up to over $1.2 million. Buyers can easily find a 4 or 5 bedroom home with a brick front for around $200,000.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Mystery Valley Golf Course – Golf Digest once voted Mystery Valley Golf Course as one of the top 50 courses in America. Throughout the years, it has hosted many large tournaments and is a favorite spot for Lithonia golfers. The par 72 course opened in 1966 and sits on 265 acres of woods, ponds, and wildflower fields. It also has its own clubhouse and restaurant.
- AMC Stonecrest 16 – Located at the Mall at Stonecrest, AMC Stonecrest 16 is Lithonia’s favorite movie theater. It offers stadium seating, an extended concession stand, and IMAX 3D.
- Stone Mountain Park – Lithonia is just minutes from one of Atlanta’s top attractions: Stone Mountain Park. The park centers on a large granite mountain with a carving of three notable people from the Civil War. Visitors of all ages can find something to do here, such as hike or ride up the mountain, enjoy a trip on the scenic railroad, learn about history at the museum and plantation site, climb the rope bridges, take a boat ride, watch a laser show, and so much more.
- Panola Mountain State Park – Lithonia is also just minutes away from Panola Mountain State Park. Similar to Stone Mountain, the focal point of the part is a 100-acre granite outcrop. Hiking, boat rentals, archery, geocaching, bird watching, biking, roller blading, and dog-walking are popular activities here.
- Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area – The Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area is located in unincorporated Lithonia. The historic area has been a home to freed slaves, Creek and Cherokee Indians, European Settlers, and Trappist monks. You will find granite outcrops, rare plants and wildlife, a 30-mile bike path, and you can shop and learn at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit where the Trappist monks still live today.
- Fairington Enclave
- Sandstone Estates
- Miller Park
- Asbury Park
- Haynes Park
- Stonebridge Woods
- Old Salem Woods
- Hunters Pace
- Browns Mill
- Dogwood Manor Estates
- Inman Oaks
- Poplar Falls
Students in Lithonia will attend DeKalb County Public Schools, including:
- Edward L. Bouie Sr. Elementary School
- Marbut Elementary School
- Shadow Rock Elementary School
- Princeton Elementary School
- Rock Chapel Elementary School
- Flat Rock Elementary School
- Murphy Candler Elementary School
- Panola Way Elementary School
- Redan Elementary School
- Fairington Elementary School
- Stoneview Elementary School
- Wynbrooke Traditional Theme School
- Browns Mill Elementary School
- Pine Ridge Elementary School
- Salem Middle School
- Lithonia Middle School
- Redan Middle School
- Martin Luther King, Jr. High School
- Lithonia High School
- Miller Grove High School
- Arabia Mountain High School